Mike McQueen, author of Getting Boys to Read, discusses his new book and tips on how to get your boys interested in reading. Do you know a boy who struggles with reading? Mike has great tips that come from his own personal experience as a struggling reader turned teacher-librarian. He knows what boys struggle with and how parents and teachers can help. This book is filled with practical tips as well as interviews with authors. With 114 tips, there is sure to be something that will help inspire you and get the boy in your life reading.
The book is divided into 7 main ideas:
- Create the right environment.
- Strengthen your relationship.
- Connect reading with his interests and needs.
- Lure him with the best materials.
- Make reading interactive.
- Make reading fun.
- Try different techniques.
Some of my favorite tips included in the book include:
- read aloud daily
- recruit male role models
- set up a book club for boys (we podcasted about this 4 years ago–listen here)
- never criticize what he reads
- use Amazon’s related titles
- take him to the library
- allow him to read comic books
- introduce him to non-fiction
We discuss these and SO many more ideas. For even more great ideas, check out the Getting Boys to Read website.